Craving on a different coffee recipe?
Today we will show you in a simple way how to make a delicious and authentic Irish coffee. A well-known drink internationally, and clearly one of the most popular in cafes and bars in Ireland. Its special touch is liquor, more specifically Irish whiskey.
Let’s see how it’s made!
Table of Contents
What is Irish coffee?
This is a drink you may have heard before. It has its origin in the year 1942 in Foynes, in the west of Ireland. It was born as an innovative way to counteract the cold climate of the time, by adding Irish whiskey to a traditional cup of coffee.
If you are interested in knowing a little more about its history and similar beverages, you can visit our blog about coffee recipes.
It is a mixture of a strong hot coffee, brown sugar, and Irish whiskey, on top of which you add a soft layer of whipped cream. Although it seems obvious, the best option is to use a whiskey that is actually Irish.
There are places and recipes that incorporate another type of whiskey such as Scotch. However, there is a clear difference in the taste of the drink. With Irish liquor, you get a much softer and more delicate drink than with Scotch. That’s why we recommend using the original.
Ingredients for Irish coffee
Although it is a very different drink from the traditional ones since it uses liquor, its ingredients are very simple.
You’re gonna need:
- 120 ml (4 fl oz) of loaded coffee or hot espresso. First, learn how to make an espresso.
- 50 ml (1.5 fl oz) of Irish whiskey.
- Two teaspoons of brown sugar.
- Whipped cream.
This drink is served in an Irish coffee glass.
How to make Irish coffee?
Now that you’ve gathered all the ingredients, let’s get to work!
1. The first thing you need to do is warm up the glass. To do this, fill it with hot water and wait a few seconds. Then, remove the water and dry the cup.
2. For the next step you have two options:
- You can add the brown sugar to the cup and add the whiskey. Stir until the sugar dissolves and finally add the hot coffee. Now mix all the ingredients well.
- You can also add the brown sugar, then the hot coffee, and finally the whiskey. Then stir until everything is well mixed.
* Do not fill up the glass, leave at least half an inch for the cream.
3. Gently pour the whipped cream over the coffee. To make it better, you can use the back of a spoon. Let the cream fall on it so that it then smoothly reaches the liquid. This will help it float better over the coffee and create a delicate, thick layer on top.
4. As an extra touch you can decorate the drink with cinnamon powder, vanilla or walnuts.
5. Do not stir the cream with the coffee. The idea is that you drink it through the cream.
And finally, just enjoy it!
Tips to keep in mind when making Irish coffee
According to the traditional version, it tastes better when it is dark and has very strong coffee, that’s why the base is the espresso. In this case, ideally, it should have a medium to dark roast degree and a good body. Coffee quality is also very important, so prefer the best coffee brands.
Also, don’t forget that coffee is always better when freshly ground. You can prepare this recipe with previously ground coffee, but the one that is fresh will always give it a special touch. There are good electric grinders so you can do it at home.
The drink is served in an Irish coffee glass. It is basically a kind of cup used for this drink in particular. You can find out more about it in our article on types of coffee cups.
However, if you don’t have it at home, you can still enjoy this drink. You can use a tall cup, a mug, a crystal glass, and even a beer glass or a brandy snifter
The preparation order
In the step-by-step, there are two options to combine the main ingredients. This is due to the many versions we can find today.
For example, in some recipes, they prefer to change the density of whiskey by stirring it together with sugar with specialized appliances. Then they add the coffee, but these don’t blend. Finally, add the cream. The result is a drink with 3 layers that can be then stirred when it is to be drunk.
It is a matter of taste, however, this time we prefer a version more similar to the original. That way, you can enjoy a more authentic experience.
The ideal point of the cream is when it is semi-whipped. That way, it’s not too dense but not too liquid. Thus, it has enough body to float over the coffee while keeping a smooth texture.
The cream is usually sweetened with white sugar, and the amount depends on taste. You can even not sweeten it if you prefer it natural. It will taste much better with coffee when it is fresh and homemade.
How to make whipped cream? It is very simple, you just have to whip heavy cream with a hand whisk or electric mixer until it reaches the desired point. You can also buy it already made or use chantilly cream. The difference is that the latter is usually sweetened with powdered sugar and has vanilla essence. Again, you can add either, it depends on your tastes!
Coffee is so versatile that we can drink it even with a little liquor. And in fact, there are several ways to make coffee cocktails!
As we could learn, making Irish coffee is easier than it looks. Also, you can enjoy it by adding your own touch according to your tastes. We hope that this simple but delicious recipe will serve as a guide for you to be encouraged to make Irish coffee at home.