Table of Contents
How a gas coffee maker works
Not all gas coffee makers are created equal. There are at least 3 different ways to brew coffee in a gas coffee maker. Below we will show you what they are and how they work.
How the Italian Moka coffee maker works
This is one of the most common methods of brewing coffee in a gas coffee maker. You can also call it a low-pressure espresso. The way it works is very simple, but at the same time very sophisticated, which indicates the pure physics and engineering behind the product.
Remember that this product is divided into three parts. A lower part that serves as a water reservoir, a kind of basket-shaped funnel for the coffee and the upper part, a carafe with a filter underneath.
- The water in the container will rise when it reaches a temperature of around 90 degrees before reaching the boiling point.
- The water flows through the funnel that holds the coffee and the coffees are infused.
- The water already mixed with the coffee flows through the filter and begins to settle in the carafe.
- The lid helps maintain some pressure inside the device.
How an espresso coffee machine works
Espresso coffee is very popular because it has a high concentration of coffee, which is achieved thanks to the high pressure inside the machine throughout the process.
This coffee machine consists of three parts: the base, the basket and the carafe. Unlike the previous model, this carafe has a more cylindrical shape and is made entirely of stainless steel to better withstand the pressure. In addition, the lid closes tightly and has a valve that regulates the pressure.
- The water rises when the temperature reaches 90 degrees.
- The coffee settles in the carafe and gets a different fullness and intensity through the pressure process.
Traditional pot style coffee maker
This coffee maker differs from the other two and looks more like a cross between a pot and a carafe. It consists of a single body and a basket-shaped filter for the coffee that is inside.
- The water is heated almost to the boiling point.
- The basket with the ground coffee is used for brewing.
- The lid of the jug ensures that the pressure on the brew is maintained.
How do you use a gas coffee maker?
Now that you know how they work, it’s time to see how to use them. Contrary to what many people think, these gas coffee makers are very easy to use.
Three-piece gas coffee maker
The functioning of the Italian and espresso coffee machines is the same:
- First fill the tank with water.
- Then add the desired amount of coffee into the funnel.
- Once the entire coffee maker is assembled, you can place it on the stove.
- Pay attention to the moment when the liquid rises in the carafe.
- As soon as the carafe is full, remove it from the stove.
- Then you can serve and enjoy immediately.
One-piece gas coffee maker
This coffee machine needs a little more attention.
- You have to fill the water in the pot.
- After that, you can put the jug on the stove and wait for it to heat up.
- When the water is hot, but still a long way from boiling, add the compressed ground coffee to the basket.
- Remove the pot from the stove before it starts to boil.
- Now you can start serving.
The most common mistakes when preparing coffee with a gas coffee machine
Although the operation of these gas coffee machines is very simple, it must not be forgotten that it is not automatic. So many things can go wrong during preparation. Here are some of the most common mistakes:
- Boiling the water: This changes some of the chemical components, affecting the aroma and flavor of the coffee.
- Filling the coffee too early: If the coffee is filled when the water is cold, the mixing process will start immediately if it is a single-serving machine. It is best to wait until the water is already at a higher temperature.
- Let the coffee cool and reheat: Coffee should be drunk hot and freshly brewed, so letting it cool or reheating is a bad decision.
There is a wide range of gas coffee makers with different features resulting in exquisite but different coffees. They are all quite easy and nimble to use. However, you have to be careful because there are aspects that, if out of control, can spoil your drink.
Therefore, we advise you to follow our recommendations and the instructions that come with your coffee maker and thus avoid certain mistakes.