We can enjoy a delicious coffee made by ourselves without having to leave home, only with the right coffee maker and utensils. That’s why this time we bring you the most recommended coffee maker accessories to make the best coffee at home.
What are the accessories for a coffee maker?
Accessories are utensils that allow the operation of a coffee maker or complement it. So that it has more functionalities or ways of use and it can make more drinks. You might also be interested in our guide on types of coffee makers.
These accessories can go inside or outside the coffee maker and in some cases are included in the purchase. However, some are usually disposable or of little use, therefore, often have to be replaced.
Accessories for making coffee
To get started, we will show you the main accessories that you will need in the process of brewing coffee.
Generally, the best cups of coffee are made with freshly ground beans, as it gives a better taste and retains the aroma longer. That is why this accessory is one of the most important for its preparation.
The coffee makers feature a place to deposit the coffee, but it must be already ground. Therefore, a grinder is essential when you prefer to buy coffee beans and not ground coffee.
On the market, the most common grinders are of two types: electric or manual. Below, we will show you the best-selling model of each type. For more references, visit our top of coffee grinders.
Hamilton Beach Fresh Grind electric coffee grinder
This product is one of the best sellers due to its quality and the fact that it is easy to use. Anyone can handle it without problems.
It has a grinding chamber at the top in which the coffee beans are deposited, and a power button at the front to activate it. Its features are:
- It is quieter than other grinders. You won’t have to worry about making a lot of noise in the mornings or late at night.
- It features a grinding chamber or compartment that is removable, therefore it is much easier to wash and clean.
- It can grind the beans necessary to make 12 cups of coffee approximately.
- It uses long-lasting stainless steel blades.
- You can grind both coffee beans and spices.
- At the bottom, there is a special compartment to store the cable and not take up much space in the kitchen.
To take into account:
- It only features a grinding setting and the button must be pressed all the time for it to work. This means that there is no guide to choose the desired degree of grinding. So, you have to know how to determine how ground you want the coffee.
- It is not possible to set the cycle of grinding, so again the time goes according to each one.
JavaPresse Coffee Company Manual Coffee Grinder
This product is one of the most popular manual grinders and the preferred by users.
It has an elongated design, which is very comfortable to use. Also, it does not take up much space and thanks to its size it is easy to take to other places. Its features are:
- It comes with 18 settings to adjust the degree of grinding according to the recipe you want to make and the coffee maker to be used; either the espresso machine, French press, Chemex, etc. This guarantees total control of the beans’ degree of grinding.
- It has ceramic conical milling cutters that are 5 times more resistant and durable, and also enhance the taste of coffee beans.
- No batteries, power or cables are needed to use it, therefore it is ideal for use not only at home but also on the go.
- It is very easy to use and not very noisy.
- It can grind up to 35 g of coffee, that is, about two cups.
To take into account:
- It doesn’t have much capacity. So if you want to brew a large amount of coffee, it is not recommended.
- You can’t see very clearly if the beans are completely ground until you stop grinding and take out the coffee.
Having a good filter for coffee is essential, as many times the taste depends on it. Therefore, to prepare delicious coffee, we must also have a good filter.
We can find two types of filters: paper and permanent. In some cases, coffee makers already come with the permanent filter, but others don’t. So, in such cases, we have the opportunity to choose which one we are going to use.
Paper coffee filters
These filters are perhaps the best known and most widely used today because they are very easy and quick to use. They also give a good taste.
Previously, a fabric or linen filter was used to make coffee. A paper filter hadn’t been made until the early 20th century, and it was thanks to a German housewife named Melitta Bentz. She couldn’t bear that every time she made her coffee with the fabric filter, there were particles of the ground beans left. Also, it seemed to him a very slow and time-consuming process.
That’s when Melitta came up with cutting a piece of absorbent paper that her son used for homework, put it in a metal can, and added the ground coffee to it. When she poured the water into the coffee through the paper filter, she knew she had made it.
Later she saw a great business opportunity so she decided to patent her idea, thus founding one of the most iconic brands of paper filters: Melitta. Over time, the filters became more sophisticated in both shape and size until they evolved into the filters we know today.
On the other hand, you should know that there is another question you must take into account when you choose your filter because in the market you will find bleached and unbleached filters. But what is the difference?
Bleached paper filters
They are those that have undergone a bleaching process, either with chlorine or with oxygen. The natural color of the paper is a brown shade, so you will know that a white filter has gone through such a process.
These filters are known for not giving extra flavor to coffee or damaging its aroma. However, they are not great for the environment because they need more manufacturing steps and can pollute much more than other filters when discarded.
In the same way, we recommend that if you are going to use these filters, the best is that they have been bleached with oxygen.
Below, we will show you one of the best sellers.
Melitta white disposable paper filter
- It does not alter the taste of the coffee. It also has 3 filtering zones that help to enhance and balance the aromas and taste of the coffee.
- It has micro-perforations AromaPor to optimize the extraction of flavor and oils from the coffee.
- It is designed for a filter coffee maker and its fit is perfect for 1×4 sizes.
- It is biodegradable with an FSC certificate (forest management certification that ensures that the wood they use comes from forests with the appropriate social, economic, and environmental standards).
- It is white.
Unbleached paper filters
These paper filters you can recognize because they come in their natural brown color. They are better for the environment as they are more natural and have fewer manufacturing steps.
One of the criticisms people make of this type of filter is that it is possible to feel a slight paper taste in the coffee, which is guaranteed not to happen with filters that have been bleached. However, the way to counteract this is by simply rinsing the filter with hot water before using it for coffee.
Similarly, nowadays companies are increasingly concerned about ensuring that there are no extra flavors in coffee, so having an unbleached filter is not a bad option.
One of the best selling unbleached filters is:
Hario V60 Paper filter for coffee
- They are disposable cone-shaped filters. They are single-use.
- They are compatible with type 01 coffee makers, that is, for 1 to 2 cups.
- They are brown and have the FSC certificate.
Permanent coffee filters
Nowadays, one of the easiest ways to make coffee is through a coffee maker with a permanent filter, since this means that it can be used as many times as you want.
It is not necessary to buy a filter after each use because the permanent, unlike disposable paper filters, can be washed and reused after each brewing. Therefore, it represents a great long-term saving.
The most common are made of stainless steel mesh while the rest are usually hard plastic.
Now we will show you one of the best-selling filters of this type.
Hamilton Beach Permanent Gold Tone Filter 80675
- It comes in a basket shape.
- Perfectly fits most basket-style coffee makers.
- It is for 8 to 12-cup coffee makers.
- The mesh is made of stainless steel and is easy to clean.
Besides, when choosing a coffee filter, apart from taking into account the type, you must consider a few more things:
- The size of the filter should go according to the coffee maker you have. Filters come in 4 sizes as follows:
- Size #1: it is for 1 cup small coffee makers, both electric and manual.
- Size # 2: for electric coffee makers that serve 2 to 6 cups and for manual ones that serve 1 to 2 cups.
- Size # 4: for electric machines of 8 to 12 cups and for manual ones of 8 to 10 cups.
- Size # 6: for both electric and manual large coffee makers of over 10 cups.
- The shape of the filter depends on your coffee maker. You will find that there are conical, basket, and disc shapes.
Spoons for coffee makers
Also called measuring spoons, in some cases, they come with coffee makers. In case not, they are a great choice to have at home. Mainly because having at least more than one will help you more easily measure coffee portions and better calculate how many cups you want to brew.
Another of its functions, mainly in coffee makers, is stamping or pressing ground coffee.
You can find spoons of various materials such as stainless steel or PP material (polypropylene). The important thing is that you make sure that they don’t taste or are toxic.
In general, the most-used measures are to make coffee in an espresso or a filter coffee maker. For the first, the standard measure is usually 7 g of coffee, and for the second, about 5 g, each per cup.
Now we will show you some outstanding examples of the spoons that you can find on the market.
Melitta Measuring Spoon for Ground Coffee
- It serves both to measure and dose ground coffee.
- It has a capacity of 8 g.
- It is made of high-quality stainless steel.
- It is easy to use and wash.
Jadeshay Coffee Measuring Spoon
- It has a unique design that allows on one side the spoon to dose the coffee, and on the other, it is possible to press the coffee in the coffee maker.
- It has a capacity of 7 g.
- It is ideal not only for coffee but also for cocoa, tea, protein, etc.
- It is made of stainless steel.
- It is very easy to clean.
If you want to make a coffee drink that contains milk at home, just like they do in coffee shops, a milk frother is what you will need. This accessory transforms the milk into a light and soft foam or, if you want, some models have the function of only heating it.
You can usually find it in two types: electric or manual. For both cases, it is important to consider some factors when choosing which one you want. But it will almost always depend on your tastes and needs. As for the types, because of the ease and comfort they offer, electric ones may be the best option.
Taking into account the capacity of the frother is also important. Depending on the amount of coffee you usually make and how much milk you want, the capacity must be higher or lower. In general, electric frothers have a capacity of approximately 100 to 350 ml.
Validating how powerful the frother is is another aspect. The idea is that the frother you choose has enough power to generate a good foam and in a short time. Therefore, almost always the more powerful it is, you will have to wait less time for the milk to be ready.
The material of the frother is also a factor to take into account since you must make sure that it is of quality, durable, resistant, and that it has gone through the safety measures required to make it a legit product.
Also, it is not bad either that you look at the way of cleaning. Today, many are easy to wash, but there are some with certain restrictions that you should check so that you do not damage the frother.
Now that you have in mind what a frother is like and what you have to consider to choose the right one, we will show you some outstanding options for each type of frother.
Bonsenkitchen Manual-Electric Milk Frother
This frother, although electric, could be considered manual since it doesn’t have its compartment for depositing milk. Also, it must be handled all the time by hand.
- It is made of food-grade stainless steel.
- It creates milk foam in 15 to 20 seconds.
- It has an ergonomic design that makes it easy not only to use but also to generate the foam. Also, its size allows it to be portable and easy to carry on trips.
- It works with two AA batteries and is activated by pressing the switch on the handle. It is quiet and has a powerful engine.
- It is easy to clean with soap and water while on or it is also possible to remove the rod for cleaning.
To take into account:
- Since it is manual, you have to keep the button pressed to make it work, in other words, you can’t let the milk froth on its own without having to keep the mechanism activated.
- The batteries can be spent quickly depending on their quality and how much you use the machine.
Nobebird Electric Milk Frother
This accessory is ideal for both steaming and heating milk. Because of this, it is very versatile and has many more uses than a manual frother.
- It has up to 3 capacities. The minimum for frothing milk is 100 ml, and the maximum is 160 ml. For heating milk, the maximum capacity is 350 ml.
- It takes only 1 to 2 minutes to froth or heat the milk.
- It has a single button on which you can choose 3 different configurations or modes of milk preparation. You can make foam from hot and airy milk, warm and dense milk, or cold milk.
- It has an automatic shutdown system that is activated when the milk is ready. So you don’t have to worry about watching it while it’s on.
- Its ergonomic jug-like design makes it easy to use and pour the final result into your desired coffee or beverage. In addition, it is heat-resistant and protects from burns.
- It has a stainless steel non-stick coating that facilitates safety and cleaning.
- It comes with a spare blender.
- It’s quiet.
To take into account:
For some users, cleaning is not so easy, as you have to be careful not to wet the mechanism.
Cleaning accessories for the coffee maker
Just as the accessories for making coffee are very important, so are the ones that allow you to wash your coffee maker in a better way.
These allow its service life to be extended and you have it in better conditions. In addition, residues or dirt can alter the taste of coffee and even damage your coffee maker.
The main accessories to clean your coffee maker that you will find on the market are mostly: cleaning brushes and descalers.
The purpose of these brushes is to clean even the most difficult and small parts of the coffee maker. They are usually elongated and thin so that they can reach more parts.
Generally, the bristles of the brushes are made of nylon or more natural materials. The handle can be plastic or wooden.
Below, we’ll show you an example of each.
Welltop cleaning nylon brushes for coffee makers
- It has an ideal design that allows you to keep your hands dry while cleaning and an angle that helps you reach the most difficult parts of the coffee maker.
- In one end, it features a spoon.
- It works with both coffee makers and coffee grinders.
- It is mainly ideal for cleaning the coffee maker head.
- It has firm bristles made of nylon.
KINGTOP coffee grinder cleaning brush
- It serves mainly for cleaning coffee grinders.
- Removes coffee residue without damaging the coffee maker or grinder.
- It has high quality and firm natural fiber bristles, but they do not scratch. The handle is wooden.
- It measures about 18 cm, so it is easy to take on the go and doesn’t take up much space.
To take into account:
- Due to its size and shape, it can’t be used in all types of coffee makers.
In coffee makers, after a certain time and use, lime may appear produced by the water that accumulates inside the machine.
In addition, since coffee is an oily substance by nature, these oils often accumulate and form unpleasant residues. These not only alter the taste and quality of the coffee but can also damage the operation of the coffee maker.
This cleaning product is usually found in two presentations, liquid and tablets. In some cases, you’ll find products designed specifically for a brand or type of coffee maker, but there are also generic options that suit any type.
Below, we will show you some outstanding examples.
WoldoClean 2-phase descaling tablets
- It has an ideal formula to remove lime while protecting the coffee maker.
- It has no odor and is degradable.
- It is compatible with all kinds of coffee makers or appliances.
- They can be used even for other household appliances such as teapots or even irons.
- They dissolve completely in water quickly at a temperature of around 40°C.
- They are easy to use.
- Its formula is 100% ecological, therefore its impact on the environment is minimal.
- It is easy to use.
- It removes lime from coffee makers.
- Its use helps the smooth operation of the coffee maker and extends its service life.
- It is possible to use it in various types of coffee makers.
The coffee market is currently very wide and offers us many tools to brew it. Therefore, we don’t have to always go to a cafe when we want to have a special cup. Today we can make it ourselves from home with a coffee maker and the right accessories.
As we have already seen, there are many options of accessories for coffee makers that you can find on the market and they are generally pretty simple to use. So, we hope that after getting to know the types of accessories, you’ll also dare to try some of them to take your cup of coffee to the next level.