We have spoken with a barista of one of the best coffee shops in Colombia. This time, we will show you with his help how to make a delicious cup of coffee in Chemex.
What is a Chemex?
A Chemex is a manual pour-over coffee maker.
It is usually made of glass and has an hourglass-like shape. It is like a flask with a top cone-shaped opening. It also has a two-piece wooden collar in the middle tied with a leather cord for easy handling.
One of the advantages is that it comes in different sizes. If you make small amounts, there are Chemex with a capacity of three cups. On the other hand, if you want to brew more coffee at once, there are models for 6, 8 or 10 cups.
Ingredients for making Chemex coffee
To brew a good coffee, we need special utensils and ingredients that perform the extraction in the best possible way. That’s why we talked to Hernando Palacios, barista at Café San Alberto, who explained to us step by step how to make a coffee with the Chemex coffee maker.
So let’s see what you need for this brew.
- Coarsely ground coffee.
- Hot water below the boiling point.
- Paper filter for Chemex.
- Carafe for water.
For 1 cup:
- 12 grams of ground coffee.
- 150 ml (5 oz) of water.
This is the recommendation of Barista Hernando for a balanced coffee with good concentration.
How to make coffee with Chemex?
- Place the paper filter on the top of the Chemex.
- Pour some hot water over the filter. This is done to “purge” the filter so that other flavors, such as paper, do not get into the coffee. It also helps to preheat the base.
- Remove the water.
- Put the ground coffee in the filter and level it so that it is better distributed. This way you will get a more homogeneous extraction.
- Pour the hot water in a spiral way from the center to the outside and from the outside to the inside. This allows better extraction of the aromas and flavors of the coffee.
- Add all the water and wait for it to finish filtering. When it’s done, remove the filter to avoid over-extraction.
- And now you can enjoy it! You can serve the coffee in a cappuccino cup or another cup of your choice.
The 3 best Chemex coffee makers
If you like the way this type of coffee is brewed and you are looking for the best Chemex coffee maker to buy, we recommend that you take a look at this top 3 of the best that you can find in the market.
Chemex Coffee Maker
This is the flagship Chemex, belonging to the brand of the same name.
Capacity: 975 ml
Dimensions: 24.3 x 16.2 x 3.3 cm
Weight: 1,3 lbs
Its design is very eye-catching and it is one of the best-selling products on the market. So much so that the Illinois Institute of Technology put it on the list of the 100 best products designed in modern times.
- It has a wooden collar and a leather cord. This allows you to grip the coffee pot without burning yourself.
- The carafe is equipped with a spout to make it easier for you to pour the coffee and not spill it.
- It is made of non-porous borosilicate glass that does not absorb external odors or flavors.
- It is so sturdy that you can place it directly on a gas stove or glass stove to keep your coffee warm at low heat.
- It is very easy to clean, just remove the wooden collar and wash it with water and a little soap.
- Be careful, even if it is a strong glass you must not forget that it is prone to breakage.
Bodum Chemex coffee maker
This is another best-seller and it is way cheaper than the original Chemex.
Capacity: 1 liter
Dimensions: 18.7 x 22.8 x 27.3 cm
Weight: 1.42 lbs
- With this coffee maker you do not have to use paper filters. It comes with a stainless steel mesh filter.
- It is made of high quality borosilicate glass.
- You can buy it with a cork or silicone band. Both will help you grip the carafe better and prevent burns.
- For cleaning, it is better to buy it with a silicone band because you can wash it easily.
Cosori Chemex coffee maker
It is a model that was recently launched on the market and is being very well received. It is small with a large capacity so it is perfect for a kitchen or small business.
Capacity: 1 liter
Dimensions: 24.8 x 16.2 x 16.2 cm
Weight: 1.65 lbs
- The coffee maker is equipped with a double-mesh filter made of 304 stainless steel.
- The carafe is made of borosilicate glass, so you can heat the coffee directly in the cup at low heat.
- The coffee maker comes with a BPA-free plastic spoon so you can measure the coffee.
- The appliance comes with an instruction manual that tells you the right amount of water and coffee for a barista-like brew.
- It includes a wooden belt with a leather cord, very similar to the first reference in the top.
- It could have a better handle.
Making coffee with Chemex is a great experience that you can’t afford to miss. If you follow these tips and proportions, you will surely brew a good coffee. Now you just need to decide which Chemex you want to buy.
Our recommendation is the original Chemex, which you can use with a paper filter, Although we know that it is a bit expensive, it is the most traditional one and gives your coffee a very pure taste.
But if you don’t want to spend that much, the Chemex from Bodum is certainly cheaper and also very good.