Today, depending on our needs, we can find all kinds of coffee makers. The manual ones, although not difficult to use, have a specific operation and a few tricks that are worth learning. In this blog, we will show you the complete process to make a coffee with a V60 coffee dripper.
Table of Contents
What is a V60 coffee dripper?
The V60 is a drip coffee maker that is operated completely manually. It was developed by the Japanese company Hario, which specializes in the manufacture of kitchen appliances.
One of its main advantages is that it is very practical, does not take up much space and is easy to use. Besides, it allows you to brew delicious coffee.
Because of its design, it is also called a drip cone. The V60 is a kind of cone-shaped container that has a 60° angle. This is where the name comes from.
On the inside, there are vertical grooves or lines in a spiral pattern around the container. The purpose of these is to release the air so that the coffee can expand and extract better when the water is poured in. At the bottom is a small hole through which the coffee drips.
The V60 is available in different colors and materials, the most common being ceramic, plastic, glass and even metal. Its particular function comes from the design, so there is not much difference in this respect.
Ingredients for making coffee in a V60
This type of coffee maker uses a drip extraction method and since it is manually operated, a number of utensils and ingredients are required to use it.
We had the opportunity to speak with Hernando Palacios, one of the baristas at Café San Alberto in Bogotá, who advised the following:
- Medium ground coffee.
- Hot water with a temperature of about 92° C (197 °F). That is, the water should not be boiling.
- A paper filter.
- V60 dripper (cone and glass coffee carafe)
- Water jug or kettle. (You can also use a regular pan to heat the water).
- A scale or measuring spoon. This is ideal for accurately measuring the amount of coffee to be used.
The proportions always depend on the amount of coffee you want to make. Since this is a drip coffee and not espresso, you will use a larger cup.
The quantities for 1 cup of coffee are:
- 12 g of ground coffee.
- 150 ml (5 oz) of hot water.
If you want to make more coffee, just multiply the ingredients. So for two cups, you need 24 g of coffee and 300 ml (10 oz) of water.
How to make coffee in V60?
Our friends from San Alberto showed us how to brew coffee in a drip cone.
As we could see, it is actually a very simple method.
- Place the paper filter on top of the V60, that is,. in the cone.
- Rinse the filter by pouring in just a little hot water without ground coffee. This way, no paper-like residual aromas will remain in the beverage.
- Discard the remaining water from the bottom of the carafe.
- Put the ground coffee in the filter (cone) and level it for better extraction.
- Pre-brew, which means pouring a little water over the coffee and letting it sit for some seconds. This will cause the coffee to expand a bit, allowing the flavor and aromas to be enhanced.
- Finally, pour all the water in a spiral motion from the outside in and then from the inside out.
- Wait until the water has dripped off.
- And now it’s simply time to enjoy! Serve the coffee in a cappuccino cup or any other larger cup you have at home.
The 3 best V60 coffee drippers
Now, take a look at the 3 best V60 drippers on the market.
Hario V60 Drip Cone Set
Capacity: up to 4 cups of coffee
Dimensions: 9.6 x 7.2 x 5 inches
Weight: 1 kg
As we have already seen, to use the V60 we need more than just the main pot. Therefore, this kit is ideal if you want to start using this brewing method.
- The kit includes the filter (V60), a carafe, a measuring spoon, a lid that doubles as a stand, and 100 paper filters.
- The V60 is made of ceramic and has a white color.
- The jug is made of heat-resistant glass and the handle is made of glass.
- It is dishwasher safe.
- The carafe holds up to 4 cups of coffee.
- It is compatible with Hario 02W paper filters.
Hario VCND-02B Drip Coffee Maker Set with Dripper
Capacity: up to 4 cups of coffee
Dimensions: 6.81 x 9.65 x 5.12 inches
Weight: 0.4 kg
This is another model offered by the Hario brand for the V60 coffee brewers. It is ideal if you want to enter the world of coffee, since it is very light and easy to use. In addition, it has a beautiful and elegant design. Not only will it fit perfectly in any place you put it, but it is also the ideal gift.
Learn more about what it all includes:
- This set includes: the Hario V60-02 coffee maker, a coffee carafe, a measuring spoon and a pack of 40 paper filters.
- The dripper is made of plastic.
- The carafe is made of heat-resistant borosilicate glass. The handle is black and very ergonomic.
- It has a brewing capacity of 1 to 4 cups of coffee.
- Since the dripper is made of plastic, it is only suitable for a maximum water temperature of about 90° Celsius. Therefore, it is advisable to measure the temperature accurately.
Hario V60 Dripper Cone
Capacity: 700 ml (23.7 oz.)
Dimensions: 4.33 x 3.86 x 4.21 in.
Weight: 0.3 kg
This is one of the more modern V60 models from Hario. The main difference is in the design. It consists of a much larger carafe with an hourglass-like shape. The lid is wide and fits perfectly with the dripper. So, this model is much more ergonomic.
- The carafe is made of heat-resistant borosilicate glass.
- The dripper (V60) is made of plastic and colored black.
- Thanks to its shape, the coffee can expand better, which allows an ideal extraction.
- In the center of the carafe there is a silicone band, which makes it easier to grip. It is heat resistant and can be easily removed for cleaning.
- It has a very good capacity, so you can brew several cups.
- It is compatible with Hario 02 paper filters.
- To begin with, there are a few filters included.