If you love liqueur and you love coffee, then this recipe is perfect for you! Learn how to make a very easy amaretto coffee with a delicious flavor.
What is Amaretto?
Let’s first talk a little about Amaretto, the ingredient that shines in this preparation. Amaretto is a sweet liqueur of Italian origin. The English translation is “a little bitter”. This liqueur is made from two main ingredients.
The apricot, a fruit that has a sweet taste, and the almond, a dried fruit that has a somewhat bitter taste. These two ingredients combined with alcohol, sugar, vanilla, some fruits, and plants create the delicious taste of Amaretto. Normally, amaretto has an alcohol content of 25-30%. An important aspect to consider in this preparation.
Its history dates back to Saronno, a town near Milan. In 1525, the painter Bernardino Luini painted a woman in an inn. The story goes that this young woman fell in love with the painter and, to show him her love, she made a mixture of different products from her garden and gave this drink to the man.
This was the drink that we know today as Amaretto. For this reason, this liqueur is known as an aphrodisiac. And whatever the story may have been, since that time Amaretto is a famous liqueur that will be part of our preparation today. So…
What is Amaretto coffee?
It is a drink of Italian origin, made mainly from espresso, the famous Amaretto, and whipped cream. In Italy, it is traditional to drink it after dinner with cookies. We will show you how to make it in the traditional way and how to enjoy the cold version.
Option 1: Traditional Amaretto coffee recipe
- A double espresso
- Amaretto liqueur
- 4 tablespoons of heavy cream
- Drinking glass
Step by step
- Brew a double espresso with the coffee of your choice.
- Now it’s time to prepare the heavy cream. Whip the cream until it has a slightly firmer consistency.
- Add about 60 milliliters or 4 tablespoons of Amaretto to the glass. Then add the double espresso along with some sugar to taste until everything is fully incorporated.
- Carefully top the glass with the whipped cream
- Off to enjoy!
Option 2: Cold Amaretto coffee recipe
Cold coffee is always a good idea for summer or whenever you crave your favorite flavor. Let’s see how you can make the same amaretto coffee cold. Although it’s not the original recipe, it’s another option you’ll love.
- Vanilla ice cream
Or you can use pretty much anything you like…
Step by step
- Brew your double espresso.
- Whip the cream as in option 1 until it has a semi-firm texture, which is the perfect consistency.
- Mix 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream, 4 tablespoons of amaretto, sugar to taste and the espresso.
- Add the ice.
- Finally, garnish with the cream and you’re done!
Tips for a good Amaretto coffee
- If you don’t have a whisk or hand mixer for the cream, you can whip it in a large bowl with a fork. Whip quickly and evenly to achieve the heavy consistency needed for this recipe.
- If you don’t drink alcohol, you can buy an amaretto flavored syrup. This is not the original recipe, but it works.
- It is best to use espresso to make amaretto coffee. However, you can also use filter coffee. However, make sure that the coffee is strong.
- You can preheat your glass before adding the liqueur and coffee so the drink stays hot longer.
- Toppings: you can add as many toppings as you like. It is very common to sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. But you can also use chocolate sauce or caramel.