Coffee is drunk almost everywhere in the world, regardless of the type of climate. Therefore, we can find delicious brews even in very hot places, such as the beautiful Caribbean. There were born different ways to enjoy it.
This time we will tell you about one of them. It is a perfect drink for any temperature and is dedicated to coconut lovers. It is Hawaiian coffee.
Table of Contents
What is Hawaiian coffee?
Hawaiian coffee is not only easy to make, but also unique. Its special feature is that it uses coconut milk. It is an espresso to which you add a creamy layer of coconut milk and finally, as a garnish, grated coconut.
Ingredients for Hawaiian coffee
You will need:
- One espresso
- Coconut milk (or normal milk)
- Grated coconut
- Sugar (optional)
The quantities will depend on how many cups you want to make. Ideally, half of the coffee should be espresso and the other half should be milk.
Generally, the coffee is served in a wide-mouthed cup, such as a cappuccino cup.
How to make Hawaiian coffee?
As you saw, you do not need many ingredients to make Hawaiian coffee. The preparation process is also very simple. For this purpose, we will show you two ways of preparation. One is with canned coconut milk, and the other is with homemade coconut milk.
Purchased coconut milk
- Brew an espresso.
- Pour up to half of it into a medium cup with a wide mouth.
- Fill the top half of the cup with coconut milk and stir.
- Sprinkle some grated coconut on top for garnish.
- Ready to enjoy!
If you like, you can also toast the grated coconut in the oven to add a special touch to the dish. Here’s what you need to do:
- Place the coconut grates on a baking sheet.
- Set the oven to medium heat (about 165 °C – 175°C or 329 °F – 347 °F).
- Put the tray in the oven and roast the grates for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Now they can be used as decoration.
Homemade coconut milk
- Brew an espresso.
- Meanwhile, place the milk and grated coconut in a saucepan.
- Heat on the stove over medium heat (do not let it boil), stirring occasionally.
- Remove the milk from the heat when it becomes creamy.
- Strain the milk and set aside the remaining grated coconut.
- If you like, you can toast the coconut grates as described above.
- Pour the espresso halfway into the cup and top with the coconut milk.
- Add the coconut grates to decorate and enjoy!
*If you wish, you can add sugar. Coconut milk already has a certain level of sweetness, so this is not really necessary. But it depends on your taste.
Tips for good coffee
Espresso serves as the basis for this recipe, so a medium-fine ground coffee with a good body is ideal. Also, the best choice is to use freshly ground coffee, so buy quality beans that you can grind at home.
For time and practical reasons, it is easier to buy ready-made coconut milk. Nowadays, you can choose from several options in the supermarket or grocery store.
On the other hand, if you have more time and want a more “natural” preparation, you can make the coconut milk yourself. Besides, this is very easy and will give your coffee an even more special touch.
If you prefer your coffee a little sweeter and in combination with other flavors, you will surely like today’s recipe. You can make it at any time of the day and for any occasion. There is nothing better than surprising your friends or family with this alternative and delicious way of enjoying coffee.