Nowadays there are many coffee brands that sell their products in glass containers, but often we don’t know how to give these bottles a second life.
Ideas for reusing glass coffee containers
Make sure you clean the inside of the jars properly to remove the smell and taste of the coffee.
How should I wash the coffee glasses?
Heat some water with a small amount of soap and leave the water on for about 5 minutes. Then rinse the container and dry with a cloth.
The label can also be easily removed with hot water. If there are still adhesive residues, you can remove them with a cloth.
If you wash the glass in this way, items stored in it will not smell like coffee afterwards.
When your jar is dry, all you have to do is pour in the soil or compost for your plant and pot the plant.
Although we remove the smell of coffee from our vessel, coffee grounds are an excellent fertilizer for our plants. In addition, they can stand in the ground with this vessel.
Organizers can be very useful in many areas. They are an excellent choice for students because you can store many important items here. The scope of possibilities ranges from pencils, erasers to paper clips. It all depends on the size of the vessel.
You can use these containers to store food in the household. The advantage of coffee glasses is that they can usually be closed.
With the help of the coffee glasses you can store all your school supplies, groceries or spices.
Candlesticks are an excellent decoration for your table.
You can do this by painting or decorating the outside of the glass. Then let the jar dry for at least two days. After this time, you can put the candles inside.
You will probably need more time and material for this alternative. Basically, you make a small lamp out of one or more glasses, a board, a lamp rosette or lamp holder, a few meters of rope and a few light bulbs.
You can find many videos on the internet that explain in detail all the steps you need to follow to make your lamp. However, it is quite a long process that will require you to have some special tools.
- The board to be used must be at least 3 cm thick to support the weight of the glasses.
- Once you have the board and jars, you need to drill a hole in the lids of the jars. This to be able to connect the rosette.
- Now on the wood you need to make two holes at the ends of each side so you can attach the rope.
- On the wood, you need to make the same size hole, but the hole must not pierce the wood. You must leave at least an inch without drilling to glue the rosettes directly to the wood. You must pay attention to the dimensions of the rosette so that it is flush with the wood.
- Finally, you have to make the connection with the rosette. When buying the materials, we recommend that you also buy the wires for the connections and then you will finally have your lamp.
Remember this is a summary of the process you need to follow. However, we encourage you to watch videos that detail all the steps. Be sure to avoid accidents as you need to use a drill or other tools.
Decorations with glass bottles
This is where the most creativity is required. You have to craft decorative objects and you have many options.
There are many options for special occasions such as Christmas or Halloween. You can make a kind of homemade glass bauble as a table decoration with small Christmas figurines, a small table lamp with Santa inside trying to imitate the Christmas sky, or you can even paint the Grinch’s face on a glass and use it to store biscuits.
For Halloween you can make other decorations. You can put a small LED lamp on the bottom of the jar and make cardboard figures so that you project some kind of shadow that looks great, you can also paint the jar orange and turn the old coffee jar into a pumpkin.
Benefits of using glass for coffee packaging
Although materials like plastic are now preferred for mass production due to the very low cost of production, glass is still an excellent material for food preservation for the following reasons:
- It does not change the taste of food
- It is inert (does not react to external influences such as air or water)
- It allows for much longer storage of the contents.