The answer is: no.
Quinoa coffee is not made from coffee beans.
What is quinoa coffee?
Quinoa coffee is an alternative to everyday coffee as some people are allergic to caffeine but still want to enjoy coffee. Quinoa coffee is a substitute for those who cannot tolerate real coffee.
Quinoa coffee is made from quinoa seeds that are roasted and ground. The process is similar to real coffee. It is seen as a substitute for coffee without possessing certain properties.
Since quinoa, unlike coffee, is not an alkaloid (a stimulant substance found in plants), quinoa naturally reduces the negative effects of coffee on the body, such as: B. Heartburn. Quinoa coffee is also an alternative for those who are sensitive to caffeine.
What is quinoa?
These are the seeds of an herb from the Amaranthaceae family (160 genera and 2400 plant species) that grows between one and three meters in height. It has been growing in the Andes for thousands of years, where it is mainly cultivated in Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia.
This is a plant-based food with exceptional nutritional properties. Quinoa is the only plant-based food that is able to supply 8 essential amino acids and vitamins. This is due to the special properties that place quinoa above grains such as wheat and corn in terms of nutritional value.
Quinoa is a seed, but it has some wonderful properties that allow it to be consumed as a grain, which is why it’s also known as a pseudo-grain.
Types of Quinoa
Quinoa is generally known for its white grains, but there are different varieties depending on the altitude and temperature of the growing area. Here are the three most popular types of quinoa:
White quinoa seed or royal quinoa is the most well-known variety. This type of quinoa has a mild flavor and a light and fluffy texture.
White quinoa goes well with any dish, whether it’s a dessert or a main course, and is a great choice as it’s a great source of protein, vitamins, and minerals.
The taste of red quinoa seed is more intense, with a nutty aroma and is recommended for salads.
The red quinoa has a high nutritional value because it contains folic acid, fiber and carbohydrates compared to the other two types of quinoa.
This quinoa variant was created by accidentally mixing it with spinach seeds. The black quinoa seed is darker in color, crunchy, and tastes sweeter. Black quinoa is rich in antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and healing properties.
Characteristics of quinoa coffee
Quinoa coffee combines the best qualities of the quinoa seed with a taste meant to resemble coffee:
- There are no downsides to consuming quinoa coffee. Quinoa-based coffee can be consumed by anyone who cannot enjoy traditional coffee.
- Being high in carbohydrates, quinoa is an excellent alternative to start the day.
- Quinoa is a good choice for athletes as it contains all the essential amino acids.
Benefits of Quinoa
Quinoa seeds provide many benefits to our body that help maintain our health.
- Quinoa is high in fiber. These reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as diabetes and gastrointestinal diseases.
- Quinoa is an excellent source of phosphorus. This is an important part of our bones and teeth. In addition, quinoa has iron, which transports oxygen to our cells, and zinc, which strengthens our immune system.
- Quinoa provides vitamins that support our metabolism and contribute to the growth, development and function of our cells. This includes in particular and also the function of the brain and the nervous system.
- Quinoa is considered a complete source of protein because it provides the essential amino acids (basic component of protein) for our body that can only be made with food.
- Quinoa is originally gluten-free, so it can also be consumed by people with allergies.
Nutritional value of quinoa seeds
As mentioned earlier, quinoa is a food that is packed with vitamins and minerals. It is free of gluten and caffeine and is therefore very well tolerated.
Quinoa is also rich in magnesium, a mineral that is useful for high blood pressure and diabetes and helps diabetics keep their blood sugar levels under control. However, it is advisable to consult a doctor before consuming quinoa to treat any medical condition.
Quinoa is also rich in antioxidants, which protect our cell material.
Make quinoa coffee at home
There are several ways to brew quinoa coffee. The easiest way is to buy it ready-made and use it like a conventional coffee.
Once you have your quinoa of choice, we recommend white quinoa, you need to wash it.
When quinoa is clean and free of impurities, toast in a pan (without oil) until brown.
Once the quinoa has turned brown, let it sit for a few minutes and finally, chop the granules in a food processor or blender.
With the ground quinoa seeds, you can brew the coffee however you like, be it the traditional way, in a coffee pot, or by pouring hot water over it.