Just as there are many kinds of coffee recipes, there are also many types of coffee makers. It is one of the great virtues of coffee. Not only is it delicious and a great partner in our day, but it also offers us many ways to enjoy it.
That is why this time we will talk about a well-known and perhaps the most traditional coffee machine: the drip coffee maker.
So, you will learn more about it, its types and, above all, the best drip coffee makers on the market that can be the right ones for you. Let’s start!
Table of Contents
What is a drip coffee maker?
To begin with, you should know that it is also called a filter coffee machine.
Surely you have already seen it many times because they are the ideal coffee makers to use in the office and the most often found in homes. You may also know them as American coffee makers, as they appear most in American movies and series.
It is a machine consisting of two containers, one to store water and one to deposit the resulting coffee, and a filter. In the market, you can find drip coffee makers that come with those 3 elements, and others that don’t.
Some don’t include the filter, so you have to buy it separately. Besides, some models use paper filters and others use permanent ones. If you want to know more about what kind of filters to choose from, check out our blog on must-have accessories for coffee makers.
How does a drip coffee maker work?
It works very simply. You just need to pour the water into the top container, put the ground coffee in the filter and turn on the coffee maker.
It will start to heat the water and pour it over the filter. After a few minutes, you will have delicious and soft coffee stored in the bottom container of the machine. The latter is usually a glass jug or carafe and new models even come with a thermos jug. That way it’s easier to serve when it’s ready. Also, thanks to the heat plate of the coffee maker, the coffee stays warm longer.
Today you can find drip coffee machines with more features and improvements. The latest models allow you to program it so that it starts brewing coffee at a specific time. Some also come with a built-in coffee grinder, so you can enjoy a cup of freshly ground coffee. The only con is that these models are considerably more expensive.
Types of drip coffee makers
As we already mentioned, today you can find all kinds of drip coffee makers. However, we could say that there are two types.
In general, it can be said that a machine is drip-type when water is passed through a filter filled with ground coffee, as an infusion. That’s why a Chemex-type coffee maker could be considered a drip one.
Taking this into account, there are two types: manual or electric. Let’s take a look at each.
Manual Drip Coffee Makers
This type of coffee maker doesn’t need electricity to work.
It is a system in which you place a coffee filter on a container, add the ground coffee into the filter, and manually pour hot water over it. As you add the hot water, it passes through the filter and thus the coffee comes out as an infusion.
The best-known coffee makers of this type are the Chemex and the V60:
Chemex coffee maker is usually made of glass and its shape resembles that of an hourglass. The top is open and cone-shaped to better fit the filter. It comes with a wooden collar in the middle so that it is easy to handle.
An advantage of Chemex makers is that they come in various sizes depending on the
The V60, also known as the V60 drip cone, is an object developed by the Japanese brand Hario. It is cone-shaped with an angle of 60° (hence its name), with spiral grooves on the inside and a hole at the bottom. This allows air to be released and the expansion of the grinding to be maximized at the time of pouring the water.
You can find it in 4 materials: ceramic, glass, plastic, and metal.
This is a method widely used by baristas. Although you don’t have to be an expert to use it, you should have at least some basic knowledge about the technique.
To make a good coffee brew you need to take into account the temperature of the water, the time of brewing, and the way of pouring the water. Anyways, over time you can discover the “trick” to use it and how you like coffee more.
Another aspect you should know is that with manual drip coffee makers you can take longer making coffee. The drip process usually takes between 3 to 5 minutes, so while it’s simple, you should have a little time to do it.
These are two of the best manual drip coffee makers on the market.
Chemex Classic glass coffee maker
It is one of the most traditional and has an elegant design. It is made of glass and comes with a wooden collar so that you can easily handle it, without the risk of burns. Also, its material is specially designed not to absorb odors around it.
- It is made of non-porous borosilicate glass, so it doesn’t absorb odors or chemicals.
- It has a 33 ounces capacity.
- The wooden collar is removable for easy cleaning.
- You can keep the coffee warm by placing the Chemex on the glass stove or flame if it is a gas stove. Always on low heat. If it is an electric stove, you should place a grate.
Hario V60 drip coffee maker
This specifically is like an “improved” version of the traditional V60, since it incorporates the container in which the resulting coffee is deposited. Besides including the Hario drip cone, obviously. This then makes it a very convenient coffee maker model and a great option.
Let’s now look at its characteristics.
- The base is made of high-quality heat-resistant glass.
- It features a black silicone rubberneck to make it easy to handle when hot. It is removable for easy cleaning.
- It holds 1 to 4 cups.
- This model’s cone is made of polypropylene.
- It uses V60 #02 paper filters. It comes with about 40 units of these.
Electric Drip Coffee Makers
These coffee makers are actually more convenient than manual ones if it comes to speed and automation.
They require electricity to work, but you don’t need to worry about pouring the water yourself, knowing the water temperature point and coffee brewing time.
The electric drip coffee maker will do all that for you! All you have to do is put the coffee in the filter and the water in the container to start working. Although the drip process itself takes time, with an electric machine it is reduced.
As we said before, depending on the model of the coffee maker, you can use paper or permanent filters. They usually come with a paper filter-ready base. Remember that these are single-use and disposable.
So, depending on your needs, you can also consider those that have a permanent filter. With these, you save more in terms of money because they can be washed, have more uses than a paper one, and don’t necessarily change the taste of coffee.
On the other hand, you can also decide if you prefer carafes made of glass or other materials such as stainless steel. The latter allows you to keep the coffee hot for longer, so you don’t have to reheat it many times, hence you save energy. But, even if you prefer a traditional glass carafe, many coffee makers feature a heat plate, so the coffee doesn’t cool down so fast.
Another advantage of many current models of electric drip coffee makers is that they can be automatic. Several come with the option to schedule coffee brewing time. If you want your coffee ready early in the morning, you can set it up to start brewing minutes before you get up.
If you also want to adjust the intensity of the coffee, some models allow that setting. This option delays or accelerates the time it takes to pour the water. So the brew can be strong or soft, according to your tastes and preferences at the time. In addition, many brands are aware that the process of cleaning electrical appliances is not always easy. That is why they have incorporated cleaning cycles and descaling systems. This makes the washing process less tedious and extends the lifetime of your coffee machine.
Let’s now see the 5 best-selling and most recommended electric drip coffee machines.
Melitta 1021-21 Drip coffee maker
This model is undoubtedly one of the most modern and of excellent quality in the market. It is also one of the most expensive, but it would definitely be a great investment in the long run.
Unlike several drip coffee makers, thanks to its integrated coffee grinder, this one allows you to make a delicious drink with freshly ground beans.
Below you can see more of its features.
- It includes a timer function. You can schedule it to brew the coffee at the time you want.
- It has an anti-drip system and is compatible with 1×4 filters. It has a touch screen.
- You can adjust the degree of coffee grinding.
- It has an automatic shutoff function.
- Its minimum capacity is 2 cups and the maximum is 10.
- The water level indicator will serve as a guide to know how many cups of coffee you want to make.
- It is easy to clean thanks to its descaling function. All its parts are removable as well.
- It is generally made of stainless steel and the jug is glass.
Aigostar Benno 30QUJ Drip coffee maker
This is another coffee maker with very good ratings due to its quality and multiple functions.
It not only has a large capacity but is also programmable. You can leave it ready the night before and adjust it to make a delicious coffee the next morning. All according to the amount you chose.
These are its specifications:
- It has a capacity for approximately 12 cups of coffee.
- The jug is resistant and made of borosilicate glass.
- It has a plate that keeps the coffee warm for up to 40 minutes after brewing. After this time it turns off automatically.
- It features a removable permanent filter, but you can also use a paper filter if desired.
- It can be scheduled 24 hours in advance.
- It has anti-drip, pause, and serving functions. This allows you to serve the coffee even when the coffee maker is still running, without dripping for 30 seconds. This avoids stains or coffee spills.
- Its base is non-slip.
Russell Hobbs Luna drip coffee maker
Russel Hobbs is another of the leading brands manufacturing drip coffee makers, thanks to its capacity and quality. This model also allows you to schedule the time of brewing and to choose the quantity.
Also, its design and solar red color give it an elegant and sophisticated look.
Let’s take a closer look.
- It has a water tank of 1.8 liters. It is perfect for brewing up to 12 cups of coffee.
- The filter holder is washable and has a self-cleaning function.
- It has advanced spraying technology to make brews of excellent quality.
- It can be scheduled 24 hours in advance.
- It has a blue LCD screen. The coffee maker is stainless steel and the jug is glass.
- It has an anti-drip function.
- It features an automatic heat plate to ensure the coffee stays warm.
Yabano Drip Coffee Maker
This coffee maker stands out not only by having multiple functions but also by the quality of the coffee it makes.
It is perfect if sometimes you prefer to drink very loaded coffee, but at other times you feel like having a lighter coffee. This is possible thanks to its Aroma Selector function.
Know its characteristics.
- It has a capacity for approximately 12 cups of coffee. The jug is glass and includes a permanent removable filter.
- It has an anti-drip system so that no drops fall when the jar is removed.
- The temperature is stabilized at about 75°C to keep the coffee warm.
- It can be scheduled 24 hours in advance.
- It has a touch control part to program the timer and adjust the temperature.
- It features the Aroma Selector technology. This allows you to adjust the aroma of coffee in 3 ways: light, soft and strong.
- The filter and jug are easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
Ufesa CG7232 Avantis Optima Drip Coffee Maker
This coffee maker is another of the best rated by Amazon users.
You can enjoy a delicious coffee alone or accompanied, thanks to its capacity of 10 large cups and 15 small cups. You just need to follow the marks of the coffee maker to know how much coffee you are going to enjoy.
Let’s look at its specifications.
- The glass jug has the Aroma Plus system that preserves the coffee aroma for longer.
- It has a non-stick heating plate.
- The filter holder is removable and pivoting. It also includes a permanent filter.
- It has an anti-drip function.
To bear in mind:
- It is not programmable.
- You can’t adjust the taste level of coffee.
Aspects you should consider to choose your ideal drip coffee maker
As you could notice, the market offers many quality drip coffee maker options. Regardless of whether you prefer to make coffee more traditionally with a Chemex, or with the most modern and electric models.
So, after seeing the options of coffee makers offered by the market, we will give you some general tips you should take into account when making your choice.
If you lean more for an electric one, the timer is one of the best features. It is not only convenient but also a facilitator if you don’t have much time in the mornings.
You have to choose the filter well
This influences the taste of coffee so ideally, you should get one of very good quality. If you prefer paper ones, there are bleached and unbleached. Or there are also permanent ones, which are also very good and save money.
The anti-drip function
It may seem simple, but it causes the coffee dripping to stop when the jug is not in place. So you don’t waste coffee nor dirty your coffee maker.
The type of jug
You can find glass and thermal materials.
The glass one allows you to see the contents and measure the coffee cups better, but they can break more easily.
Stainless steel ones keep the heat better and are more resistant, but you have less visibility of the final drink.
It is also important to check that they don’t absorb odors so that the aroma of coffee is preserved.
The option to adjust the coffee intensity
So you can adjust the flavor of the drink depending on your tastes or cravings of the moment. If you are one of those who like loaded coffee on certain occasions, and other times, you prefer it lighter, this is a perfect function.
The way of cleaning
Sometimes we can find this process very tedious. That’s why many brands incorporate cleaning cycles into their models.
But, even if this is not the case, the idea is to look for machines with removable and dishwasher-safe parts. Thus, cleaning them will not be a problem and you will have them in better conditions.
Today you can find all kinds of coffee machines, according to your needs and tastes. The drip coffee maker is undoubtedly the perfect choice to make a classic drink, which will be a great companion in the mornings.
Having seen how they work and what options you can find, it’s time to choose. We hope you now have a clearer idea of its wonders and advantages. We encourage you to try it.